Sunday 8 December 2013

Post 6

I need to consider the scale of the designs I use because so far they might be a bit too small for large areas of wallpaper, especially the insects.  As I am only printing on a small scale I think I have tried to make my woodcuts as busy as possible to fill the space and make it interesting, however over a large area, I understand that much simpler designs would be clearer and stand out more.

I think the wallpaper designer and illustrator Dan Funderburgh gets the scale right because he uses larger main shaper with smaller details inside, therefore it is just as effective from a distance as it would be up close.
http://www.danfunderburgh.com/wallpaper.php#
I have looked at some old printing blocks and I have noticed how the edges curve around the shapes.  Since I have started doing repeat pints, I have found that joins are quite difficult to achieve and I think it would be much easier if the ends are not cut off in a dead straight line, so the joins would not be so obvious; however I have noticed that the joins are sometimes fairly noticeable in Marthe Armitage’s prints, and I think this adds to the uniqueness and could even be seen as a sign of authenticity.

I have started painting the backgrounds with Annie Sloan chalk paint which gives the paper more of a texture. I have also cut stencils to combine with the prints to add more depth and colour.  The backgrounds could potentially play just an equally important part as the block prints, changing the colour behind the print completely alters the mood of the design.

Some more prints using insect blocks

Presentation Reflection
The presentation process helped me to sum up and reflect on my project so far and also to collect up-to-date photographs of my work.  I introduced clearly the inspiration behind my project and how exhibitions and gallery’s I had visited during the summer influenced the direction my work was taking. I clarified that my aim was to produce a collection of hand block printed wallpaper samples and I briefly explained the processes and tools I use to create my work and how my project began with experimental mark making.  I also explained some decision making processes I went through such as the type of wood I found easiest to carve.  I explained the difficulties I overcame such as the choice of imagery to use initially and the problems I had when learning to use the Columbian press this year and how I learned to resolve these issues and how the flaws and imperfections that happen along the way can add to the handmade look which I realised was part of the nature of wood block printing.  I included three appropriate contextual references and I think I demonstrated an outward facing approach by mentioning how I had researched professional open-access printmaker’s studios and how these could allow me to continue printing after we finish without having to buy my own press.

The review point definitely helped me to clarify what I needed to do to progress and what I wanted to investigate, for example I thought that making visualisations of my prints in an interior setting could help me to work out if my designs would be a suitable scale for wallpaper.  I think overall my visual presentation worked cohesively with what I was describing.

No comments:

Post a Comment